This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Roy Cottage is a traditional seafront Manx cottage which has been lovingly restored as self-catering holiday accommodation. The cottage has been fitted out to a very high standard and every room has magnificent sweeping sea views over Castletown Bay and Derbyhaven.
Roy Cottage sleeps 2 people in one kingsized bed, the bathroom is next to the bedroom on the third floor of the cottage. The kitchen is on the ground floor and the lounge on the second floor. Access to all floors is via two flights of stairs, which are not steep.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please contact us
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our Location Page. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is IM9 1AY to get directions.
- The airport is 1 mile away, taxis can be hired at the airport and there are three car hire companies. There is also a bus stop five minutes from the cottage, with good island-wide services. Find out more on our Getting Around page.
- The cottage is on a well maintained road and the pavement is even.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- You will be greeted by our cottage manager, who will be waiting for you in the cottage and will provide you with keys.
- Parking is available along the sea wall directly outside the cottage.
- There is no dropped pavement kerb into the cottage.
- The street is well lit at night by street lights.
Entrance to Property
- The front door is 2M x 75cm.
- The property is on the pavement with a kerb.
- The hall floor is wood with a coir mat.
- The entrance is lit by an outside light.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The hall, stairs and landings are well lit with ceiling lights.
- Passageways are 90cms wide.
- The floor covering is wood with a mat in the hall.
- The staircase to the first floor has 11 steps; the original cottage staircase, but not steep. There is a handrail one side.
- The sitting room/lounge is situated on the second floor.
- The door opening to the lounge is 84cm wide.
- The room has a a 2 seat and 3 seat sofa and one upright chair with non-feather cushions.
- Furniture can not be moved.
- There is a widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitles, and a DVD player.
- Lighting is natural daylight and by night levels are controlled by dimmer switches, with overhead lighting used.
- There is no separate dining room. The dining table is in the kitchen on the ground floor, with 4 chairs.
- The kitchen is situated on the ground floor with step free, level access from the hallway.
- The door openings to the kitchen from both the hallway are 90cms wide.
- The door of the oven drops down and the handle is 72cms above the floor. The hob is 92cms above the floor.
- Worktop and sink are 92cms above the floor.
- Fridge freezer available, highest shelf in fridge 170cms and lowest drawer in freezer 48cms.
- Table provided – 76cms from floor to lowest.
- Glasses and crockery can be moved to lower cupboards, if required. Please request this on booking.
- The flooring is wood.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There is 1 bedroom with a king size double bed, on the third floor.
- The door to the bedroom is 84cms wide.
- Furniture can be not be moved.
- A sofa bed for use by a personal assistant/carer or friend/family member is available in the lounge.
- The height of the bed from the floor is 55cms.
- Lighting is natural daylight and overhead lights controlled by dimmer switch. There is a bedside lamp for reading.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- There are 11 steps leading from the lounge to bedroom on third floor.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- The bathroom is on the third floor next to the bedroom.
- Step free, level access from bedroom.
- Door opening 84cms wide.
- A large shower, which has to be stepped into, no grab rails.
- No bath.
- Toilet 42cms high.
- No toilet Seat raisers.
- Wash basin 82cms high.
- Taps on washbasin are turning taps.
- All areas in the cottage have good colour contrast between the floor, doors and walls. Generally, doors and doorframes are mid wood and walls are light in colour.
- The mobile phone reception is good but expensive. A landline is provided for incoming calls and outgoing emergency calls can be made.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E unit and walk in NHS is 10 miles away and the nearest Doctor’s surgery is 1 mile away. Further information is in the welcome folder.
- There is also a list of nearby attractions and details of their Access Statements for information, where available on the cottage website and in our visitors book.
- Unfortunately as Roy Cottage is a traditional Manx fisherman’s cottage in a terraced row we are unable to make any improvements for accessibility.
- We do have a virtual tour on our website so potential visitors can assess accessibility themselves and see if Roy Cottage is suitable for their needs.
- All bookings are finalised with a personal phone call, to check that Roy Cottage will suit guests needs. We never take on line bookings without personal contact with all guests.